Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 1995 11:49:59 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syscons, fonts, x11, & syscons vs pcvt?

Hi,

     Is there anything that describes how to change syscons fonts using
vidcontrol?  I'm running into a really nasty problem using the XFree86
3.1.2 SVGA server & an Hercules Stingray VL (ARK Logic chipset) video
board: every time I quit X-Windows, the console is left in a state with
scrambled fonts (e.g., a space is "@", letters are some unprintable
IBMPC line graphics characters, etc.).  I thought that I could use
vidcontrol to reset the fonts, but I've been unable to get vidcontrol to
change anything.

     For that matter, is pcvt any "better" (less buggy, etc.) than
syscons?  I thought that using pcvt might make my problem go away, but a
kernel build for me takes around 15 minutes, and so I thought that I'd
better ask if there are any nasty problems with pcvt before spending any
more time on this.

     Thanks,
     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.