Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 02:14:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [tysont@montana.edu: Is Adaptec 2930 a typo?]

Nik Clayton wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This popped up on -doc.  I don't know anything about the support for
> the 2930 -- is our documentation wrong, or has something else gone wrong
> for this chap?

If you go to http://www.adaptec.com/products/solutions/pcscsi.html,
you can see there are several types of 2930's. A comparison of between
the 2930 and 2940 is at
http://www.adaptec.com/products/guide/ultrascsimatrix.html. The
difference seems to be support from Adaptec for OS'es such as SCO and
etc. They only list DOS amd Windows for the 2930. On
http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/scsi2930.html Adaptec claims
it is ideal for SCSI CD-R, CD-RW (rewritable CD-ROMs), DVD, or
removable drives. The 2940 is the one that adds SCSI HD's.

Kent

> Cheers,

> ----- Forwarded message from Tyson Trebesch <tysont@montana.edu> -----

> From: "Tyson Trebesch" <tysont@montana.edu>
> To: <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Is Adaptec 2930 a typo?
> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:57:46 -0600
>
> To whom it may normally concern,
>
> I see in your hardware compatibility listing here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html#INSTALL-HW
>
> that there is an entry for the Adaptec 2930UW PCI SCSI controller.  I happen
> to have one, and was delighted to see that it was supported.
>
> Unfortunately, I here tell that there is no support for that card, and that
> the handbook mention was a typo.  Is that correct?
>
> (I have had zero luck getting my 2930 to show up in FreeBSD 3.2 after making
> a kernel for a 2940 because, oddly, there was no controller entry in LINT
> for my 2930.  I assumed it was supposed to use the 2940 driver).
>
> Tyson N. Trebesch
> BTC Intern
> Junior, CS -- MSU Bozeman
> tomcat@avicom.net   http://btc.montana.edu
> 994-7799

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-doc" in the body of the message
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
>  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
>  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
>  the links.
>     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA