Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 15:18:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, imb@scgt.oz.au, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: try this .. panic :-(

> >i) insert write protected floppy
> >ii) dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=9k
> >iii) oops .. WP errors .. pulls floppy out of drive w/o hitting ^C first
> >iv) panic: page not present
>
> This has been reported before, but I couldn't duplicate it then or now
> in -current.
>
> Don't use block disk devices if you value your data.  I/O errors aren't
> reported to the application.  They are only logged.  Perhaps they should
> be reported by close().  dd would still ignore them.  It doesn't even
> bother to close the output file explicitly :-(.

Was -current changed so that full page writes don't cause the system
to do a read-before-write?  This would be the correct fix for the
problem.

One *could* use the unsigned char bitmap to take this down to the
512b block level on a 4k or larger block size FFS, regardless of
frag size.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---