Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:54:00 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Using spinning time efficiently?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 02:01:19 -0800,
  Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> said:

>> I once thought something might be wrong, and then found
>> (ALT)SYSCALL_LOCK spinning to wait for the lock to be released. Now I
>> am wondering if we can contribute spinning time to anything else, say
>> running another process, before the lock gets released. Is is possible
>> to do so?

Alfred> The scheduler needs to be made thread safe before that can happen,
Alfred> it looks easy at first until you realize that it starts calling
Alfred> other complex parts of the system.

Alfred> This is on several people's TODO list. :)

Then, what I actually need would be some kind of detailed books of
OS. I have not learned OS quite systematically, so it would be a good
opportunity for me to do so. Anyway, the first task of mine seems to
understand the fundamental technology and issues.

...except that book shops are likely to close soon :(

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>