Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:19:41 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP address lost on ed1

The problem has been solved, but now I'm just curious.

Tonight I was playing around with my gateway.  Which has a DHCP connection
to my ISP.  I made some changes to /etc/dhclient.conf, but with each new
lease, it appeared as if the changes were being ignored.

So I decided to kill DHCP.  But a kill -QUIT pid.  Then I restarted it
with "/usr/local/dhclient ed0".  Things went well for a bit.  Then all
comms to my gateway stopped.  Some checking found that ifconfig -ed1
showed an ip address of 0.0.0.0 and restoring the correct ip address fixed
the problem.

Would this be expected?  I *seem* to recall a problem with dhcp and
modifications to other interfaces.  Anyone else remember?

I don't know what version of dhcp I have installed and I don't know how to
find out.  /var/db/pkg gives conflicting results.  It contains isc-
dhcp2.b1.6 but I doubt I have that installed because the file sizes/dates
differ:

# which dhclient
/sbin/dhclient

# ls -lt /sbin/dhclient
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  205808 Feb 28 09:36 /sbin/dhclient

ls -l /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp2/work/dhcp-2.0b1pl6/client/dhclient
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  10  501600 Aug 22  1998 /usr/ports/net/isc-
dhcp2/work/dhcp-2.0b1pl6/client/dhclient
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/