Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:22:16 -0400
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Supermicro and FreeBSD?

Hi,

Although I haven't tried their Xeon boards, Supermicro makes solid boards
and cases, we use them exclusively. Make sure you get %100 compatible
RAM (different brand doesn't mean it's compatible or reliable), if that doesn't
help, try different board, it's possible for the board itself to be faulty. I really
doubt this is FreeBSD issue, try running linux on this box and see how it
handles, but be aware, freebsd is much more sensitive to flaky hardware
(which is a good thing, in a long run). I would strip everything down, leave
a single CPU, 1 (or 2 if required) modules of RAM, one drive and take it
from there. There are memory tests, harddrive IO tests, see what causes
the crash. Failed buildworld could mean anything, a failed memory test
alone will most likely indicate faulty memory, you get the picture.

PS: I once had a SCA backplane break and it would cause panics, first
I thought it was RAM, but then realized that it started to happen after I
swapped drives in RAID... so as you can see, it can be a number of things,
but rarely the FreeBSD itself.

Good luck (sometimes you just need it)!

-Simon