Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:21:39 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus/Processor specific I/O methods - was Re: Beginning SPARC port

Chris Csanady scribbled this message on Dec 14:
> FWIW, NetBSD has a couple of nice man pages on their bus stuff.  See
> bus_space(9) and bus_dma(9).  It looks like a well abstracted interface,
> and works on several architectures.  We really should be looking at ways
> to make the BSD's more similar whenever possible.  Making the drivers

I agree, I'll take a look... but the last time I looked at it, there
wasn't any way to let a device add a resource for use by other devices
on the bus... which is a serious limitation IMO...

I do plan on using their extent routines for resource tracking...

> more portable would especially be nice.. so I think that this issue
> definately deserves more thought.

well.. that's what I've been doing for the past two and a half months..
and I'm posted a number of messages for people to comment on my design
for the new bus/device code...  please look at:
http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html
to see what I'm doing with it...  any comments would be welcome, I've
recieved very few, so I assume no one has any problems with it yet...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD