Date:      Fri, 14 May 2010 15:58:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: user friendliest gui

On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:13:35 +0000, Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org> wrote:
> No experience at all implementing shell wrappers,

It's like writing a batch script under DOS.

> I tried installing tcltutor and that's bombing out allover the place.

So implementing a Tcl/Tk based GUI for this task isn't your goal
at the moment. So why not go with dialog? All parts you need are
in /usr/share/examples/dialog. Such a solution would be fast and
portable (because it doesn't rely on X).

> this is getting too complex, I think I'll load just a desktop gui ,
> and  put a clamav icon on the desktop  and just have them right
> click and scan drive

A full-featured desktop - so you're talking about KDE or Gnome.
Or maybe Xfce.

Why not use a lightweight window manager like IceWM, change its
menu file to just contain the clamav program call? So nothing
can be messed up by users who think a computer that does not
run an old-fashioned "Windows" is... broken? :-)

If you just want to allow your users to start ONE program, I
may point you to a program I recently found: wbar. Easy to
configure (maybe through wbarconf, but I edit the plain file),
and you can run this instead of a window manager, or you use
a window manager without any menu functionality (IceWM with
all items deleted from the menu list comes into mind).

Just some ideas.

Of course, using KDE or Gnome gives you some advantage, such as
automounting the USB stick. Luckily, you're on UNIX, so viruses,
malware, spyware and all the other crap usually found on users'
USB sticks won't harm the system. In *my* opinion, this might
be TOO MUCH overhead for such a simple task, and I would really
consider learning shell scripting with dialog, and if I got
this right and still wanted GUI, I would learn Tcl/Tk. As I
said, there are nice examples coming with the default installa-
tion for you to check out how easily it works.

In any case, *try* this setting before putting it into production.
Maybe even do stupid things, like pulling the USB stick during
scan, pulling the power cord, surf the web and download some
arbitrary software, and of course see what happens when there's
a virus or malware on the USB stick. You can get viruses and
malware for free from the Internet. :-)

If *you* can't make the scanner station unusable, your users
hopefully can't, too. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany