Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 09:29:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recent -CURRENT doesn't show process times on some hardware

> On Sunday,  1 August 1999 at 22:17:51 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> What makes this all the more puzzling is that it happens only on one
> >> machine.  Hint: it's a laptop (Dell Latitude CPi).  panic is a normal
> >> Pentium machine of no particular lineage.  Does this ring a bell with
> >> anybody?
> >
> > Do you have APM enabled?  Do you have the "broken statclock" option
> > enabled?
>
> I do now :-)
>
> > Have you tried permuting these two?
>
> Yes.  I needed apm and broken statclock, and that did it.  Thanks.
>
> (And why did it only happen in the past couple of weeks?  Probably
> because I migrated from 3.2 to -CURRENT a little while before that,
> and didn't realise that there were problems until some time later).

Until I pessimised it a little while back, the system would still try
to keep time on an APM machine the same as it would on a desktop, with
the sort of results you were seeing.  We broke this a while before by
changing the way that APM support is initialised.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org