Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Yarema <yds@dppl.com>, <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned

Moved to -arch, where this rightfully belongs...

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 14:23:55 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> > Specifically, one usually maps a foreign host's root to the local
> > nobody.  This means "foreign host's root has world-only permissions".
>
> And it not means that Apache allowed to read nobody files with 700
> permissions.

I thought we already established that nobody owning files was a bad thing.
Anything that creates files as nobody should be fixed. Apache doesn't
create files as nobody (although cgi's execed as it might, but that's the
cgi's fault, not Apache's),

> > This is sounding worse and worse to me.  Could you maybe provide an
> > example that demonstrates the danger you're trying to protect against?
>
> See one above. And not forget about NIS, which use nobody in special way
> too.

Refresh my memory as to why nobody is special in NIS land?

-gordon