Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:00:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de
Subject:   Re: TeX: printing .dvi files

> -- [ From: Stefan Veith * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>

> Hello,
>
> I have got one question: I want to write (and finally print) something with
> TeX - so I edited a text file and compiled it with LaTeX without any
> problems. But when I want to edit the .dvi file (either in xdvi or in
> ghostview) I always get error messages!

You don't edit with xdvi.  It is only for previewing the output.  Edit the
LaTeX file, then compile and preview with latex and xdvi.  Then when you
get ready to print, you will need some utility to print the dvi file.
dvips works if you have a PostScript printer or have installed, e.g.,
apsfilter.  There are other printing utilities for other types of printers,
but I think the way to go is apsfilter.

> I installed both programs via the
> ports collection (so there should not be any wrong settings) and if a .tex
> file is "compiled" to a .dvi file, there should not be any error either.

One possibility is that you might have programs which have two different
ideas about where to find their files (speculation here).  I recommend
that people install the tetex package instead of individual TeX component
programs.  tetex is an integrated TeX environment which has been carefully
crafted so that all the programs work together.  xdvi, dvips, etc are
all there and all work together smashingly well ;-)

> One more general question about printing under FreeBSD: whenever I print
> something first of all I get a page printed with information about my
> computer- and user name. Is there any possiblity to turn this (mal-)
> function off?

Turn off the burst page.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790