Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:34:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        portcitycs@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot NanoBSD on an Alix board

In message: <5a1835cd0712090859r94e8375yb254ae193ee6d9f7@mail.gmail.com>
            "Lyle Scott III" <portcitycs@gmail.com> writes:
: and how might i do that on my flash card?  I read a little about boot0cfg
: (man pages) and see the option -o packet  .. is this what i need?

Yes.

: how would i go about setting this in my flashcard that is mounted in another
: freebsd system?

There's two supported ways.  First, you can plug it into a PC Card <->
CF adapter and use that in a PC Card slot.  Second, you can plug it
into a USB flash reader.  In the first case, you'll get a device
that's adX, and in the latter you'll get one that's daX.

boot0cfg -o packet /dev/adX
or
boot0cfg -o packet /dev/daX

should then do the trick (where X is the actual device).

: i read that packet mode == LBA mode BIOS setting?  is this true?
: (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/018907.html
: )
: if so, LBA does not work either.  The same result happens.
:
: i nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

If LBA mode doesn't work, then you have to figure out what the exact
geometry is for the device.  You'll need to set this geometry on the
flash by having the partition end exactly on a cylinder boundary so
that the BIOS and FreeBSD will be in sync as to the geometry of the
device.  This may mean you'll need to recreate it after
repartitioning.  If you used a usb flash reader, you will almost
certainly get the wrong geometry (I've never had one that got it
right, due to the fictious geometry used by CAM or umass for the
device, I think).

Warner