Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:56:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help going from DSL to dialup

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > What is the easiest way I can convert this system to provide the same kind
> > of nat/firewall service based on a dynamic dialup connection?  I assume it
> > will involve userland ppp, which has NAT capability built in; but I'd
> > prefer to minimize the impact on my system configuration, since I expect
> > this dialup access to be a temporary arrangement.  I'm also not yet a pro
> > with the features of userland ppp, having never had to use it before.
>
> Userland ppp is a good choice, as the man pages are excellent. Also
> look at /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. Userland ppp also has some firewall
> capabilities, which may be sufficient for your uses. Once you get ppp
> working to your FreeBSD box, turn on NAT and gateway_enable (in
> rc.conf), and you're pretty much done. If you weren't using the
> internal IP address of the FreeBSD box as a gateway, you'll have to
> tweak the rest of the LAN for that. But that should do it.

By turning on NAT, do you mean the -nat option to the ppp program, or
natd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, which I already have?  I figured I'd
either have to change the natd interface from ed0 to tun0, or stop using
natd altogether, use ppp -nat, and learn what I need to do (if
anything) to set up ppp -nat to provide the same features as natd does
given my /etc/natd.conf file, which follows:

interface ed0
unregistered_only yes
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes
log no

# DialPad
redirect_port udp 192.168.2.1:51200 51200
redirect_port udp 192.168.2.1:51201 51201
redirect_port tcp 192.168.2.1:51210 51210

Thanks for responding to my question.

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com