Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 06:44:46 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        zaks@prioris.im.pw.edu.pl
Cc:        Martti Kuparinen <martti@research.zopps.fi>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zero checksums in tripwire

In message <87hfgsu8ea.fsf@localhost.localnet>, Slawek Zak writes:
> Martti Kuparinen <martti@research.zopps.fi> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm using tripwire-1.2 to check the filesystems for modifications.
> > Something weird happened today:
>
> [...]
>
> Tripwire-1.2 is not Y2K compliant. Upgrade to 1.3/2.x

I submitted PR 14515 in October requesting the inclusion of
Tripwire-1.3 in the ports collection.  A shar archive of the port is in
the PR.  I've been using the Tripwire 1.3 "port" on FreeBSD for about
1.5 years.

Yesterday I submitted PR 15893 (mhash-0.6.1) and 15894 (aide-0.5)
requesting the inclusion of AIDE, Advanced Intrusion Detection
Environment, a Tripwire clone, in the ports collection.  Shar archives
of the ports are in the PR's.

In my discussions with Tripwire, they mentioned to me that since they
do not have any plans to produce a version of their commercial Tripwire
2.0 for FreeBSD that I was free to use the academic Tripwire 1.3 on
FreeBSD in a commercial environment.

The copyright that comes with Tripwire 1.3 is:

Tripwire(tm) Intrusion Detection Software v 1.3
July 15, 1998

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All files in this distribution of Tripwire(tm) are Copyright 1992-1998
by the Purdue Research Foundation of Purdue University and are
distributed by Visual Computing Corporation under exclusive license
arrangements.  All rights reserved.  Some individual files in this
distribution may be covered by other copyrights, as noted in their
embedded comments.

This release is for single CPU, single-site, end-use purposes.
Duplication
is only allowed for the purposed of backup. Any other use of this
software
requires the prior written consent of Visual Computing Corporation.  If
this software is to be used on a Web site, the "Tripwire Protected"
logo
must be used on the site Home page along with appropriate copyright and
trademark information.  Neither the name of the University nor the
names
of the authors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this material without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS IS AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I interpret the above copyright to read that you can use it in a any
environment as long as you do not include it in a product or directly
provide a service with it, e.g. charge for its use.  Do I read it
correctly?  I think I do, however luckily I'm not a lawer.

AIDE on the other hand has a GNU license.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD
Province of BC
                      "e**(i*pi)+1=0"