Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:56:45 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why 'The legacy aout build' was removed from current ?

Chuck Robey wrote:

> This isn't taking the execution of aout binaries out, just stopping a
> world build.  This is only going to stop 3rd party developers from making
> a 4.0 aout platform to create *more* aout binaries.  They'll probably hang
> on for dear life on 2.2, just as long as they can.

Heh. :-) True enough. But *new* developments won't.

What Motoyuki-san is complaining about is that applications that
depend on a.out libraries will suffer. Alas, I don't think that's
the case, since all these libraries are (or ought to be, anyway) in
compat.

> Looking at copious examples from real life, forcing 3rd party developers
> to upgrade is a good way to lose 3rd party developers.  It just *sounds*
> like a good way to go.  As long as this is a change for building world,
> and not making changes to the kern/imgact things (so we keep on executing
> aout binaries) then this is probably the best way to go.

OTOH, going the other way around is the reason why we (users) had to
deal with things like 1 Mb RAM and 64 Kb segments in the age of
486s, one generation after the introduction of the 80386. As a free
operating system supported by volunteer effort, we are interested in
driving the hardware to it's limits instead of being limited by the
ways we once did things.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
who is as social as a wampas