Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:54:09 +0200
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   root server and named

Hi,

I've brought up a local nameserver on my private network, which uses the
forwarders statement in named.conf to contact the nameservers of my ISP. But:
For working corrrectly, it seems that I must have the zone "." statement with
the root servers included in named.conf. And that means, that named tries to
update the root server list everytime I start or reboot the pc. The problem is
that my network is neither online all the time nor connected to the telephone
wall connector all the time. If this is the case the network traffic increases
because named tries to reach the root servers, which are unreachable at this
time. That's something I want to avoid.

Is there a possibility to avoid that named tries to update the root servers at
start but first after a connection is there (e.g. with ppp.linkup)???

Thanks,
Thomas