Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:42:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need some advice about FreeBSD UltraSPARC port

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I say this because I'm frankly a little surprised to hear that there's
> any interest at all there given that I'd have thought that backing
> Solaris and Linux as the two "official" Unix OSes for the SPARC would
> be enough for any company (not that I agree, but I'm a realistic here)
> and I'd be very curious to know why they want to back FreeBSD as well.
> If it's for all the right and enlightened reasons we're already
> familiar with then rah rah rah and full speed ahead, let's go for it.
> If it's for the wrong reasons, or insufficiently clarified reasons,
> then I'd be afraid of things falling through unexpectedly the same way
> they did last time Sun talked about backing FreeBSD on the SPARC.
> That's my only reservation.

I'm unsure of previous politics, but I know everyone loved sunOS 4.1.x
(Well except the non-DNS comliance thing :) ) a *cough* 4.3BSD based system.

> > please feel free to jump in and correct me. At the moment it looks like we
> > have the toolchain to do cross-compilation from x86 to sparc64-elf with
> > the beginning of a port of the MD parts of the kernel. It's not much, but
>
> You'll want to look into egcs 1.1.1 then - it will in all likelyhood
> form the basis of the compiler technology which you'll actually be
> using by the time that the sparc port is ready to join -current (if
> all goes well that is).

Jordan, do you have any contacts at cygnus that you could refer us
to?  I recently got egcs111 and bin291 to generate a
crosscompiler/toolchain suite, however i noticed that almost all
the patches from the ultralinux camp never made it into egcs111.
I'm a bit confused at this, i could manually apply the diffs but
that might make it worse.  Clues/pointers?

Has anyone here verified egcs111 on sparc64 to produce at correct code?
Or at least used it on a small project and can give an opinion?

Thanks,
-Alfred