Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 08:33:34 +0100
From:      Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien?= Morand <seb.morand@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs and scanner

S=E9bastien Morand <seb.morand@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is the uscanner0 device  also dealt with in /etc/devfs.rules ?
>>

> I don't have such a file, is devd.conf the same purpose?

No it isn't.

/etc/devfs.conf deals with devices avaiable at boot time - cdrom drives
etc

devices that are plugged in and unplugged - usb gadgets like scanners :-)
- are handled by /etc/devfs.rules

So get rid of that entry in /etc/devfs.conf and insert the right thing in
/etc/devfs.rules

Mine looks like this:-

[system=3D10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
## Glyn added these below
add path 'da*'  mode 0660 group operator
add path 'uscanner*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'tap*' mode 0660 group operator

You will want to change operator to scanner for your scanner group.=20

That first line gives the ruleset a name and a number; then in
/etc/rc.conf you should put the line

devfs_system_ruleset=3D"system"

That should work after a reboot.

atb