Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:55:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions regarding CVSup port to FreeBSD/sparc64

In article <20020324181329.B15939@dragon.nuxi.com>,
David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 12:27:39PM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> > > By chance do you have the original GCC sources?  Since it is a Cygnus
> > > release, it has all kinds of "CYGNUS LOCAL" changes and diffing to FSF
> > > 2.7.2 wouldn't be the most useful thing.
>
> Do you have the M3 related diff?

No, I guess not.  I thought it was based on gcc-2.7.2.1 because that's
what I updated it to at one point.  It looks like someone else updated
it again to something from Cygnus.  There is no record of what it was,
exactly, because the person who maintained the PM3 CVS repository
almost never bothered to tag things or even to enter log messages when
he committed. :-(

What's the point of getting the diffs anyway, though?  I can tell
you from personal experience that they don't translate well at all
to current versions of gcc.  And it sounds like the sparc64 support
in the old version used in Modula-3 was hopelessly broken.

It looks to me like the best way to get things working on sparc64 is
to port CM3 instead of ezm3.  The code generator in CM3 is based on
gcc-2.95.2, so it stands a much better chance of generating working
code.

John
--
  John Polstra