Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 1996 17:55:07 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: Hardware compatibility list. Second round.

> >     I'd say that most people reading the hardware list will be doing so
> >to see if their *existing* hardware will work, with the people building
> >a new PC being next.
>
> I think you touched in three things with that comment. I believe that people
> will find it
> usefull to have hardware that works, hardware that doesnt' work, and what con
> figurations
> are used for what. For exising users not finding their hardware in the troubl
> e list is not
> guarantee that it work. If they find in the list of compatible hardware then
> they may
> at least give it a try.

     You misunderstand me.  I am *NOT* saying that we should *NOT* have
a list of compatible hardware.  We need something that contains a list
of compatible hardware *AND* problem hardware configurations.  We need
both.  We need a list of compatible hardware, and we also need a list of
problem hardware (which is stamped by date and OS rev).

     It's nice to know what hardware works, but it's a GODSEND to know
what hardware configurations have problems or do not work.  You can
prevent lots of people from wasting lots of time by doing that (and, as
a nice side-effect, you might also lower the traffic in
FreeBSD-questions ;-).

> >It's not very useful as an "accomplishments list"
> >("See?  BinkyCo's new 1000 Gigaflurb system runs FreeBSD and supports a
> >million users!"); such a list, while useful, is best put elsewhere.
>
> As to what a configuration is used for and the number of users it will certai
> nly be usefull.
> Some people that may try FreeBSD it do it solely because they have heard some
>  frriend
> became and ISP and is supporting X number of users with FreeBSD. Another case
>  is
> that someone wants to know if their current hardware will be enough to suppor
> t 100

     No, this belongs in an "accomplishments" or (dare I say it ;-) an
"advocacy" list, because:

* If you really want to promote FreeBSD, such a list needs constant
  updating (to keep track of the latest and greatest hardware and
  accomplishments).

* It needs more hype.  It would be real BORING if you buried it inside
  an hardware compatibility list (which could still have an hyperlink to
  such an advocacy list).

* It provides fodder for the "My OS is bigger than your OS" groupies.
  It's too political.  The hardware compatibility list should be
  practical.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.