Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:13:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG

In lists.freebsd.chat you write:

>Actually, the problem is even simpler than that.  If we restricted
>posting to ONLY those who subscribe, rather than just any random
>person (most of our casual posters do not subscribe to -hackers),
>it would also cut way back on the abuse since you'd have to eat what
>you served, so to speak. :)

>I'm all in favor of trying that out, myself.  I think it's time, at
>least for lists like -hackers.  Lists like questions can and should
>remain fully open.

And how do you propose to handle people like me who read this from behind
a news server or a local mail exploder?

I dunno, do you have an idea how much more load hub would have to handle
if all those people would be forced to subscribe directly? Not to mention
the inconveniance. I'm only able to follow most of the FreeBSD lists by
reading them as newsgroups. I'm sure one can come up with any number
of neat procmail/mailagent setups, but why not use a transport that's
explicitly created for such things instead of forcing everybody to
reinvent the wheel.

Michael
--
\|/