Date:      Wed,  2 Aug 2000 14:24:36 -0400
From:      "\"Technical Information\" <Technical Information" <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSDBOOT.EXE is dead?

Nobody seems to want to talk about this, but I do, so listen up.

The best information I can find says that FBSDBOOT.EXE doesn't work any more, and since it seems like nobody with the skill to fix it really cares, those of us who were really attached to that program may just be ass out.  I'm not sure that I really buy the whole explanation about resetting jump vectors either since (a) I doubt that anyone expects to return to DOS upon exiting FreeBSD and (b) LOADLIN.EXE seems to do the job just fine for Linux.

Until I can muster up the skill to fix the problem (or nag somebody with the skill into doing it before then), I need to know how to boot from say, a bootable FreeBSD CD-ROM.  If I've got a single IDE hard drive with FreeBSD on the 3rd primary partition, how can I get that partition started after booting from the Walnut Creek CD or a floppy?

By the way, I'm trying to use FreeBSD 4.x.  Please include me in any responses since I'm not subscribed.

Thanks in advance.  I love you guys.
Chip Morton