Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:30:40 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: teTex problems w/ port and package - back to Linux?

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

It is now working for me.  I tried to get the *port* working for a long
time, but only first tried the package approach at 1:30 in the morning,
and posted almost immediatley when it didn't work.  That was a mistake,
since I clearly wasn't functional then.

If anybody wants to have me try things to track down what's wrong with
the teTeX port (since I can make it fail quite reliably), I'm game, but
otherwise I'll just drop it.  I'm just happy 'cause I've got it working
now.

"Karel J. Bosschaart" wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:57:23AM -0500, The Babbler wrote:
> >
> > I have 4.2-RELEASE from the ISO image on the web site.
> > When I try to install the teTeX port, I get a message that there is no
> > app-defaults file for xdi, and it quits with an install error:
> >
> >       gmake: *** [install] Error 1
> >       *** Error code 2
> >
> >       Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.
> >       *** Error code 1
> >
> >       Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.
> >       *** Error code 1
> >
> >       Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.
> >
> Can you provide a bit more info, i.e. the stuff that comes just before
> these error messages?

All that comes before those are successful messages; then the xterm
turns to reverse video and complains that there is no app-defaults file
for xdvi.  I hit the button that's at the bottom of the reverse-video
screen, and all that's left is the stuff pasted in above.

But I tracked it down, and the failure comes from

/usr/ports/print/teTeX/work/teTeX-1.0/Makefile, line 90.
I ran that same line by hand, and get the same error about the missing
app-defaults file for xdi.

It seems that texconfig uses curses, which sorta messes up the terminal
history.

> > Now, I had xdvi installed before teTeX, and a search of the questions
> > archive suggeste that this might be a problem.  So I pkg-deleted it.  It
> > was still there (!?), so I rm'ed the executable.  No dice.
> >
> xdvi is installed as part of teTeX. I never tried installing it separately.
> If it's still there after a pkg_delete and the pkg_delete did not give
> any error then I'm wondering if it could be that teTeX installed partly -
> from above error message all I can see is that it fails during install.

I got into this mess in the first place because I intended to install
teTeX when I first installed FreeBSD, but I only had a single-disk ISO,
and guess that teTeX must be on another disk (?); anyway, it's not on my
install disk.  But I figured that I could always install later from the
port, and I also figured that the more TeXish packages I could install
the better.  This seems to have been an error on my part.

> > I figured out the the intall script was crapping out in the
> > work/teTeX*/Makefile script when it tried to do texconfig, so I ran
> > texconfig by hand; it fails for me, too.  So I changed texconfig to an
> > echo command; this let it run to completion and register; then I did a
> > deinstall, in the hopes that that would wipe out whatever conflicted.
> > It printed lots of error messages and seemed to remove stuff, but I
> > still get the error on re-install when I restore the Makefile.
> >
> > I have checked FreeBSD-current, and it has the same version number for
> > the port.
>
> That's correct, -stable and -current use the exact same ports tree :-).
>
> > I got the current STABLE *package* for teTeX, and it fails, too; as
> > follows:
> >
> >       i7500# pkg_add -t ./tmp/instmp.XXXXXX -v teTeX*.*
> >       Requested space: 154888784 bytes, free space: 2598464512 bytes in
> > /tmp/instmp.k13176
>
> Hmmmm, weird message... never saw this one. It looks almost like a temp
> directory is too small. I guess you checked your disk space already?

I don't think that's an error . . . I was just running verbose (-v)
since I figured it might help somebody figure out what was going on.
The free space number appears to be larger than the requested space,
which is presumably what we were hoping for.

> >       Package `teTeX-1.0.7' depends on `png-1.0.9'.
> >       pkg_add: could not find package png-1.0.9 !
>
> Unlike the port, pkg_add fails when it cannot find a dependency, instead
> of downloading and installing it. Apparently, png-1.0.9 is not present on your
> system; you need to download that package as well.

Thank you!  I mis-read the man page, and was thinking that it did . . .

That was it.  It's working now.

"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                  Support decss defendents.