Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 12:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

Brandon Gillespie writes:
 > On Thu, 15 May 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:
 > > On Thu, 15 May 1997, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 > >
 > > >  > Basically, what I'm saying is please try to keep the low-cost alternatives
 > > >  > in mind.  If FreeBSD was only available off the SRM console that means to
 > > >  > use FreeBSD you would have to pay an extra wad of cash...
 > > >
 > > > Right.  $75 isn're really a wad....
 > >
 > > Also, would there be any licencing problems if a vendor with the
 > > disk used that to load SRM console on a machine before shipping it
 > > out? If not, there's really no extra cost.
 >
 > Yes and no.  DEC doesn't care who has what media, they just care that the
 > license is paid in the end.  So if a vendor pre-loaded SRM, they would
 > still have to pay it somewhere (i.e. they would just wrap it into the cost
 > anyway).  Furthermore, its not that cheap!  Some lucky sod may be able to
 > get it for $75, or there abouts, assuming that the company they are buying

Anybody could be that lucky sod.  Some of us sods w/educational
discounts could get it for less.

 > from swung a sweet deal with DEC (which Aspen has :)  However, usually you
 > are looking in the four digits for the SRM Console.  DEC may have made the
 > Alpha which we all love and adore, but they LOVE to do one thing: charge
 > phonomenal prices for trivial things.

According to Digital's E-store:
Digital's Electronic Connection              For assistance call:  1-800-DIGITAL
Item Information                                                      DES_2_1505

QR-21B02-03    Alpha EB S/W Dev Kit,Frmwr V2                     Adj. %
     Service:         1 Year               2 Years                3 Years
                 Gross      Net        Gross       Net        Gross       Net