Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:08:30 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        "Christian Nelson" <freshzive@charter.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Troubles with XFree86

On Monday 04 March 2002 11:40 pm, Christian Nelson wrote:
> I don't know if this is the proper mailing list for this question,
> so if it isn't, please let me know of the proper one.

   If you'r using FBSD, it can't hurt.  If you don't find your
answers here, you might want to try gnome-list@gnome.org...

> Im running XFree86 4.10_12 with the latest version (from ports) of
> Gnome and IceWM.
>
> Certain programs will open up immediately while others will take up
> to 15 minutes. For example, gkrellm, netscape6, etc. will open up
> immediately, but when I try to open gaim or xchat, they take up to
> 15 minutes to open. X doesn't lock up during this time at all, and
> no excessive CPU usage occurs. This wasn't happening before, but
> suddenly after I rebooted, it started occurring, but only with
> these certain programs. Can anyone give me any clues as to why this
> would occur?

   This is just a shot in the dark...  Are you trying to laucnh these
apps with a launcher (rather than from the command line) and do you
have xalf installed?  (xalf is used for X Application-Launching
Feedback.)  I found that Netscape 4.51 wouldn't open -- but, then, I
never had the patience to give it 15 minutes. :-)  Someone on the
gnome-list kindly informed me of the xalf problem, so I wrote a
wrapper for xalf that will bypass the real xalf for executables with
which xalf has a problem.  I'll be gald to send it to you, if you'd
like to give it a whirl.

--
"All animals are equal; some animals are more equal than others." --
George Orwell, Animal Farm