Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:25:47 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>16550's - free essentially because no serious hacker will buy 16450 serial
>ports.  For the 16550-impaired, you can get a *good* card (STB DSP-550) with
>two 16550's for around $31 wholesale, including a bidir parallel port.
>
>The Motorola terminal adapters we use (UTA-220's) can do both sync and
>async.  Never tried the sync.  You can find less expensive terminal adapters
>that only do async.  The UTA-220's were around $650 I believe when purchased
>some time ago.  Things like Bitsurfers should be in the <~$400 range.
>
>All else being equal, I would agree that the ET/502* solutions are a nice
>way to go, but there are downsides:
>
>1)  The ET/* board is at least $500 more expensive than a comparable 16550
>    solution.
>2)  Typically you have to run sync at both ends of the link.  Many ISP's
>    will charge you more if you burn one of their valuable sync serial
>    router ports, but could care less about the cheaper async terminal
>    server ports - this can be a difference of up to a few hundred bucks
>    per month!
>3)  A terminal adaptor that does sync _may_ be more expensive.

Actually the bitsurfers can be gotten for well under $300. and our ET/5025 with
RS-232 interface is $400. So you're talking under $700. for a lot more bandwidth
and none of the async CPU overhead. Plus if you wanted to go to 56k or frame or
frac T1  you'd already have your adapter card.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25