Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:33:18 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: option directive and turning on AOE

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Brooks Davis wrote:

> >>Did you modify /sys/conf/options to tell it about your
> >>AOE option?  If so, then you should have specified the name
> >>of a header file that the option would be #define'd into.
> >>Include that header file in if_ethersubr.c and you should
> >>have no problems.
> >>
> >>Incidentally, this might be an area when netgraph would be
> >>useful.  Instead of having an AoE specific hook in the
> >>stack, you could have an AoE netgraph module that uses the
> >>existing netgraph hooks.  It's just an idea, though.
> >>

> >Another option might be a PFIL hook.  There isn't one there now, but I
> >think I've seen talk of adding one.  Actually, if we did that, we could
> >get most of the netgraph specific hooks out of the ethernet code.
> >

> or visa versa..
> make pfil have a netgraph hook. then you could use it to filter all
> kinds of things in netgraph graphs.

Yea, a ng_pfilhook module should be fairly easy to write.  I don't like
it the other way around.  PFIL_HOOKS is a hooking mechanism, so something
should hook itself in there.

PS: I'm thinking about moving all the IPSec cruft in IPv4 into a pfil
hook.  Thus IPSecKAME and FastIPSec could be loadable modules and it
would relieve ip_input/output.c by some more 1000's of lines.  Haven't
looked fully into it yet though.  I'm sure there are some difficulties
hidden somewhere. ;-)

--
Andre