Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:12:01 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI support

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:25:22AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote, and it was proclaimed:
> > > We support ATAPI devices and has been for a long time (also CD burners)...
> >
> > I believe I forgot to do a group reply on my previous reply
> > to Søren.
> >
> > OK, it seems a misunderstanding of the term ATAPI.
> > The author of cdrecord, Joerg Schilling, told me - I will translate:
> >
> > Citation:
> >
> > "You havn't understood what ATAPI is!
>
> Schilly has some funny ideas about what ATAPI is as well.
>
> > ATAPI *is* SCSI over IDE transport. Thus a SCSI system has to have
> > a hostadapter driver for the IDE bus.
>
> There's no "has to" about it.  And this isn't entirely correct either;
> one needs to read the relevant SFF802x specifications, particularly the
> parts where they state their intention to deviate further from SCSI in
> the future.

From what I have gathered from reading tech docs, etc... ATAPI is the ATA
Packet Interface. SCSI is also a packet-based interface. The original
creators of ATAPI created it by using common commands and software
interfaces that SCSI used already, basically to simplify things. The ATAPI
specification was never a complete implementation of SCSI over ATA. It was
rather a seperate packet interface that had a few common features that SCSI
did. Basically, the SCSI<->ATA drivers simply create a "false" scsi bus that
takes its device channels as the number of ATAPI devices it connects to.

> > *All* OSs despite FreeBSD do that right. Under Linux unfortunately
> > it isn't the default."
>
> He's entitled to his opinion; don't mistake it for fact.

I used to be a supporter of the SCSI-over-ATA implementation until I did some
reading and realized that it would present problems. Hopefully, rather than
trying to create this false SCSI-bus, and using the CAM layer, these software
programs will start to use the devices and ioctls, or other interface libs to
write CDs.