Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:13:31 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

Nik Clayton wrote:
[ ... ]
> > So, the major reasons for two cards on one segment: to work around
> > bugs in FreeBSD's networking code.
>
> Have you submitted these bugs using send-pr(8)?

No.

The last three times I attempted to use send-pr(8), it
bitched about my email address.

It seems to me that it's pretty useless.

It also seems to me that, even if it worked, driving
yourself by a bugs database instead of a product roadmap
is bound to get you incremental improvements only.

There are a lot of organizations, some of which I have
participated in, which lose enhancement requests into
their bugs database; from that perspective, there is a
need for a seperate "importance" factor, aprat from
the traditional "severity" factor; even then, there is
a tendency to bury your engineers in a bunch of
"previous product++" changes, instead of tackling real
problems.

In the abosolute worst case, I know that there are Linux
and NetBSD people monitoring these lists, and they will
implement the code, even if FreeBSD doesn't, and then
FreeBSD will implement it to "catch up".  The NetBSD KSE
code is just the latest example of this.

-- Terry