Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 00:51:40 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, ragnar@sysabend.org, brett@lariat.org, dscheidt@enteract.com, noslenj@swbell.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Now if only IKE/ISAKMP weren't based on clipper chip technology..

It's said to see someone like you issue such a FUDish statement. IKE
may have it's problems but this has nothing to do with it's 'Clipper
heritage'.

> Read the December 1999 ";login:" magazine from Usenix, and see
> the article:
>
>         IKE/ISAKMP considered harmful
>         William Allen Simpson
>
> I quote from the first paragraph following the abstract:
>
>         The Internet Security Association and Key Management
>         Protocol (ISAKMP) [RFC-2408] framework was originally
>         developed by the United States National Security
>         Agency (NSA) with an ASN.1 syntax from the initial
>         Fortezza (used in teh nefarious clipper chip).  The
>         Internet Key Exchange (IKE) [RFC-2409] is a session-key
>         excahnge mechanism that fits alongside Fortezza under
>         its own "Domain of Interpretation" (DOI).
>
> He goes on to state that it has "egregious fundamental design
> flaws", and states that he was administratively prevented from
> publishing the information in the IETF until after publication
> of IKE/ISAKMP.

This reinforces my comments above. And if you quote the *relevant*
sections of the document it will become even clearer...

> It's interesting that OpenBSD has implemented IKE/ISAKMP already.

What are you trying to say?

Cheers,
Jeroen
--