Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:48:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        dwoods@netgazer.com, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: spammer problem - help!

On Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:36:33 -0600 "Darrin R. Woods" said:
>I have had a problem over the last month or so of someone using our
>mailer-daemon to send spam email to myself as well as users on our net.
>
>My sendmail is running on freebsd and I've applied all of the spammer
>patches that I can find.  I've even added the hostname in the spammer db
>file but our system still accepts mail from him.
>
>How can I keep this guy and others from forging mail and making it look as
>though it is coming from my mailer-daemon?
>
>Here is the header from one he sent to my email address yesterday:

>Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:41:31 -0600
>From: MAILER-DAEMON@netgazer.net
>Subject: Low Cost Advertising
>

>Thanks, in advance, and yes I have sent email to abuse@uu.net.

So have we.  t-1net.com is a well-known spammer home.  So far
the only thing that I have thought to do is to explictly block
all messages from "MAILER-DAEMON@goldsword.com" that are relayed
or orginated at a non goldsword systems site.  The problem with that
is we are actively working with several clients to allow them to
"out-source" system/net management to us.  I really don't want
to build a ruleset to allow that, but I suspect that I will have to.

Another option, one that we are resisting at the moment, is to add
the Hack kit (check out www.sendmail.org for usuful stuff) and start
checking incoming domain names & IPs against entry's at Paul Vixie's
"Black Hole List."

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting