Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:50:58 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Tom Williams' <tomw@connection.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Quota

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The grace period on the quota isn't on specific files.  It's on total disk
usage.  If your user's total usage goes over the soft quota.  That user will
have X number of days to bring his/her disk usage under that softquota.

If, after the grace period, the usage is still above the softquota, that
user will not be able to add any more files to the system until he/she has
brought the usage back below the softquota.

If the disk usage ever reaches the hard quota, there is no grace period, no
new files will be created until usage is brough back under the hard quota.

Hope this helps.
-Chris