Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 22:52:54 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Nat Low <natlow@empnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this a failing HD?

Nat Low replied:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, David Kelly wrote:
>
> > Sitting in the room I heard a HD spinning up and down and up. Noticed
> > messages on the console. System seemed ok, so I tried "find / -name junk".
> > Kernel panic 12 sometime after find moved over to a SCSI drive. Swap is on
> > the problem drive.
>
> I had this same exact problem occur sparatically with an old IDE 1.6Gig
> Maxtor drive.  It's since been replaced with SCSI equipment and I put it
> in a win95 box.  It's been running that win95 machine for quite a while
> now, no problems yet.

System stayed up 4 hours and didn't make it out of single user this
evening. This time it didn't see the SCSI drive (the original problem was
squarely tagged on the IDE drive.) Disks were spinning up and down even as
I removed the case. Wiggled power connectors and eventually they stayed
spinning but I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that I found the specific
problem. Started a dump of my filesystems. Checked back 5 hours later and
it was still OK. Wonderfull. I hate problems like this. Am pretty sure its
not FreeBSD-current that is causing the problem.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net