Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:48:49 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Caroline Beauchamps <caroline.beauchamps@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network performance measurement application

Hello,

>From the ping man page :
-f      Flood ping.  Outputs packets as fast as they come back or one
        hundred times per second, whichever is more.  For every
        ECHO_REQUEST sent a period ``.'' is printed, while for every
        ECHO_REPLY received a backspace is printed.  This provides a
        rapid display of how many packets are being dropped.  Only the
        super-user may use this option.  This can be very hard on a net-
        work and should be used with caution.

You've also the bing program from the ports (DESCR follows)
Bing is a point-to-point bandwidth measurement tool (hence the 'b'),
based
on ping.  It is written by Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.fr>.
More information is available at http://web.cnam.fr/Network/bing.html

-Justin Seger-