Date:      22 Apr 1998 16:11:29 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        chenj@netra.nju.edu.cn
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some questions

chen jian <chenj@netra.nju.edu.cn> writes:

> 1. does freebsd support multiprocessor,if support? from which version?

yes, in version 3.0.  3.0 has not yet been "released" yet, so if you
try it, be prepared to have crashes and other problems.  Of course it
would be helpful if you have the time and some to submit bug reports
and patches.  There is a smp mailing list: freebsd-smp@freebsd.org.

> 2. does freebsd support PTY large than 64, I see in the handbook,
>    that pseudo-device pty can up to a maximum of 256. but when I
>    modify in the kernel and recompile it,I count the pty files in
>    dev directory, it is still 16,why?

You need to actually make the devices using the MAKEDEV script in
/dev.  (see the man page for MAKEDEV)

> 3. I use the intel EtherExpress Pro10/100B network card,but after I
> compile the kernel with the "device fxp0" enabled and reboot my
> machine,I can not connect to outside,how can I let this card work?

Well, we would need more information to answer that.  In particular,
the appropriate line from your kernel config and dmesg output.  Also,
have you had another ethernet card working?  Is your network
configured at all?  What's ifconfig -a say? What's netstat -r say?
(and so on...)

--

Steve Farrell