Date:      07 Aug 1998 12:28:56 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, dfr@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/conf GENERIC

[moved to -chat from -committers]
John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au> writes:
> Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:
> > Well, I work at Schlumberger Geco-Prakla¹, but have never heard that
> > term :) Besides, they have these QHSE posters all over the place
> > proclaiming a "no blame" policy... when you shoot yourself in the
> > foot, just point to the nearest QHSE poster :)
> I should have specified Wireline Engineers. 8-) No blame, eh? They
> used to fire anyone who either (a) had a driving accident; or (b) had
> a mis-fire when using explosives to perforate a well.

They're still pretty rabid about accidents (they have other QHSE
posters all over the place with photographs and schematics of
accidents involving Schlumberger employees) but I don't think they
actually fire people for that (unless it's a case of drunk driving or
something). And I can understand the part about wells; you don't get a
second chance with those things. If you blow your charges to high up
in the well, you're pretty likely to flood the reservoir and lose a
couple of hundred billion dollars' worth of oil or gas, not to mention
waste the entire exploration and drilling costs.

Then again, I've been told the European region is more lax with these
things (and discipline in general) than the American region, so YMMV.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no