Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:15:51 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot change X screen resolution

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 12:27 am, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > On Monday,  4 March 2002 at 20:06:55 +0000, Peter Ulrich Kruppa
wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just installed the latest XFree86-4 port on my -STABLE
> > > machine. Now I can't change the screen resolution by typing
> > > anymore - which was quite a helpful feature, because I am
> > > little bit short-sighted.
> > >
> > > I am using the same XF86Config as before.
> >
> > There has been a format change since 3.3.6.  Are you sure it's
> > really using the same config file?
>
> Actually I did not upgrade from 3.3.6 but from some Xfree86-4
> (perhaps 3 or 4 months old - Zoom worked with that one).
> So indeed I use the same config file.
>
> > > Any idea how I can restore this "zoom" feature?
> >
> > Capture the output of the X startup and check the messages.
>
> I tried
> 	# startx 2 > & 1  > /var/tmp/startuplog
> and get
> 	Ambiguous output redirect.

   It's ambiguous because of the space you have after the ampersand
("&").  The shell is trying to run the command "startx 2 >" in the
background. (It is ambiguous in that you're beginning to redirect
the stderr output without telling the shell where you want it to
go...)  You must not have a space between the ampersand and the "1."
   Still, this command will not log error output.  See my earlier
message for details.

Bob

--
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." -- Albert
Einstein (1879-1955)