Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:04:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        <arch@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, David O'Brien <nobody@nuix.com>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet tcp_usrreq.c

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> > 	In any case, both NMBUFS and NMBCLUSTERS can be easily overriden with
> > the respective boot-time tunable parameters. And remember, these values are
> > merely used to reserve KVA space.
>
> BUT they should be pretty reasonable numbers to start with.  People
> continue to "benchmark" FreeBSD out of the box.  We need to start paying
> more attention to the out-of-the-box settings.
>
> --
> -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

With tcp templates out of the way, it looks like mbufs aren't such a big
deal anymore; they'll certainly decrease performance, but will no longer
set a definite ceiling on the max number of sockets useable
simultaneously.

I think you're right in increasing the number of mbufs, but changing the
scaling factor is probably the wrong way to do it; it will cause people
with custom kernels to have many thousands more mbufs than they expect.

In 4.x, the setting is currently at:

(512 + MAXUSERS * 16)

current was

(1024 + MAXUSERS * 16)

before your scaling change (to * 64).

How about we instead change the constant amount, to perhaps:

(2048 + MAXUSERS * 16)

This should be pretty safe for -stable, and will help for people running
benchmarks out of the box.  (I'd like to do the scaling based on RAM size,
but I don't have time at the moment.)

Note that if we're increasing this, we should probably increase
maxfiles/sockets - that's probably more important now.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack