Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:11:03 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Sean Peck <speck@newsindex.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>, Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring Gateway/NAT on Freebsd

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 10:26:07AM -0800, Sean Peck wrote:
> Yes, I fixed the netmask yesterday and now machines can all see each
> other.. (172.16.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00) however I still am unable to
> successfully get OUT from machines
> behind the gateway/natd box.
>
> I want to use the 172.16.0.x space as my network, and have a machine
> running natd which is at 172.16.0.1 and also at the public IP space be the
> gateway/natd...
>
> The interesting thing I have noticed is traceroutes from machines behind
> the natd/gateway don't seem to go anywhere when I try to reach public
> space... just
> 1 * * *
>
> etc...  So I am wondering if it is a natd config problem now... what flags
> etc should I be sending natd on bootup to understand this?  Or do I have
> something else in the network configs mucked?

OK, one more time. What _exactly_ are your configs? What _exactly_ is
and is not working? Saying "you have a machine running natd" and
giving us the IP is not enough. You ask what natd(8) "flags" to
use. Well, let's get the ones you are using now. All you really should
need are the entries to start it and provide the interface or
address.

Some more things that will help us, and you, figure this out,

  # ifconfig
  # netstat -rn
  # ipfw sh
  # ps aux | grep natd
  Use tcpdump(8) to check where the traffic is going.