Date:      Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:48:13 -0500
From:      Richard Mcintyre <rem@thecompanyonline.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Cron not deleting log files

Jonathan Chen wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:22:08PM -0500, Richard Mcintyre wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>I am having a problem. Back in December I installed FreeBSD5.3 onto a
>>server and have just recently found some new time to 'play' with the
>>settings etc.
>>
>>I think I know what happened but I'm not sure how to fix it.
>>
>>I currently have a 'large number' of auth.log.xxxxx and cron.xxxxxx
>>files under /var/log.
>>

>Use newsyslog(8) and /etc/newsyslog.conf to manage your log files
>instead of your home-grown non-working method.

Thank you very much for your sarcastic comment, however, you must have
read that far then stopped. The problem is not with the number of extra
log files, the problem is that I cannot delete them. AT ALL. As far as
'my home-grown non-working method' of managing my log files, it doesn't
exist. In that I had not modified any of the initial settings of
/etc/newsyslog.conf or any other conf files. the only commands I ran on
the system were the long string of chmod commands I listed.

Thanks again,
~REM