Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 19:06:35 +0100
From:      "Jonathan Defries" <jonathan@corpex.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with user IDs?

Hi,

I'm having a real problem with a new install on 4.3-RELEASE.

The only thing it seems to be affecting at the moment is an
install of qmail/vpopmail.

When adding a domain, the ownership is the id/gid of the
next user in the passwd file, ie it should be 1009, but
it is always coming up as 1010.

On a previous fresh install, I had a similar problem with
apache not wanting to start with user ID www, it tried
to use the default "nobody". When I added nobody in, it
worked quite happily, as www...

The machine is a Netfinity 5100, nothing special on it,
single processor.

Could someone help me narrow the problem down please? It's
driving me mad! The password file looks fine, authentication
of users is fine and everything else seems to be working OK.

TIA,

    Jonathan