Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:33:00 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ravi Pina <falcon@gersh.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invalid Shell Lockout

> Well, I seemt o have supplied an invalid shell for root, so when I want
> to su over it gives me a Permission denied!  I appear to be completely

boot with the -s flag to come up single-user, remount the / partition
read/write (mount -u /), mount /usr (so you have the passwd command)
and then change the root password.

> locked out of the system as a result... any idea what I can do to
> overcome this problem?  It owuld be nice if it just fell back to /bin/sh
> or something so you can login even if you're a dork like me.

Or if anyone were intent on attacking your machine and looking for a
really easy way to do it, yes, this would definitely help them. :-)

						Jordan