Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:28:29 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

Chris Dillon wrote:
> > We saw the error with multiple 10.x addresses, with subnet masks
> > which should have logically seperated the subnets, but failed to
> > do the job correctly, when using two cards on the same segment,
> > with different subnet masks which should have rendered them
> > non-intersecting.  I can probably get the configuration data for
> > you, if you are truly interested (this is on a 4.3 derived
> > system).
>
> Not that being 10.x addresses would matter any, but it would be
> interesting to look at.  It wouldn't be hard for me to put another NIC
> in this box and play around with that scenario.  What exactly was
> going wrong in the above setup you're talking about?

The ARP response came back on the wrong interface because it
was sent on the wrong interface, and the kernel bitched about
it coming back from the wrong place.  If it didn't want the
response coming back on that interface, it shouldn't have sent
the request from that interface.

You can duplicate this pretty easily by:

1)	Set up a 10.x address with a netmask of 255.255.0.0
	on one card.
2)	Make this card your default route
3)	Set up a 10.7.y (x != 7) address with a netmask of
	255.255.255.0 on a second card attached to the same
	wire (we used a Netgear hub, but a Netgear switch
	and some other equipment shows the same behaviour)
4)	Config the second interface to force a proxy arp
	for its own address
5)	Watch the ARP be sent by the first interface instead
	of the second
6)	Watch the kernel complain about the response coming
	back to the MAC which it was sent from - by the kernel

If you need exact numbers and netmasks and hardware, I can
give you that information on Monday or Tuesday (it wasn't my
personal box that had this problem).

-- Terry