Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:55:12 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>> How much for the whole setup (16550's + Adtran)? I'd like to compare it to a
>> sync card with the less expensive motorolas. You may be able to get 128k
>> with no overhead for a few dollars more.
>
>The serial cards were dirt..  Maybe $30 apiece, though I think we can
>almost assume they're free on the motherboard these days..  The TAs
>were about $650 a pop, I think.  I'd need to check the invoice.
>
>TAs prices are also going to fall through the floor in the next 6
>months, I think.  There's just too much demand for them not to.  You
>tell all those new ISDN customers "It's just a faster modem!  Hook it
>to the same serial port!" and they're going to understand what you're
>saying.  The only competing solutions will be all-in-one ISDN cards
>with nice setup software.  Just like external and internal modems
>compete today.. :)

So for the same price you could have sync, with a lot more bandwidth.
Pretty interesting?

You'd be surprised what people really want. Upgradability is a big issue
in todays market, and ISDN cards are throwaways when you want to upgrade.
Its nice to be able to swap out the external unit and have a higher speed link,
or to run a different protocol. Plus with internal cards you have to wait
for somebody
to write a driver.......

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25