Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:28:59 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial Applications??

[returned to -chat]

 >> If I recall correctly, Unix was never a *registered* trademark, which
 >> means that although AT&T tried to grab more of a share by making it a
 >> trademark, it has no legal force.
 > You recall incorrectly.  Novell wanted everyone to state that "UNIX is a
 > registered trademark of Novell Inc. in the United States and other
 > countries."  Currently, "UNIX is a technology trademark of X/Open
 > Company, Ltd."

Ah, I had forgotten Novell's ploy and didn't know about X/Open.

Why doesn't it fall into the category of "things that were common and
in the public domain before anybody tried to trademark it"?

 > Do nations other than the USA have "registered" and unregistered
 > trademarks?

I dunno, let's ask the group.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped