Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:55:56 -0000
From:      "Simon Griffiths" <simon.griffiths@tenenbaum.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Issues with make -j option on ports

Hello,

I seem to get errors with quite a few ports if I use the make -j option.
The errors surround multiple make commands not getting the files it expects
in order.  Is this the correct behaviour?

make -j 8 install clean

install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555
/usr/ports/net/boinc_curses/work/boinc_curses-0.1.9/boinc_curses
/usr/local/bin/

install: /usr/ports/net/boinc_curses/work/boinc_curses-0.1.9/boinc_curses:
No such file or directory

*** Error code 71

===>  Cleaning for boinc-client-6.4.5_4

===>  Cleaning for wxgtk2-2.8.10_2

===>  Cleaning for intltool-0.40.6

===>  Cleaning for boinc_curses-0.1.9_2

1 error

This is on a quad core amd64 box. I seem to get this error on a number of
ports, for example recompiling gnome2, mysql etc etc.  So my CPU never
really maxes and the builds take longer than they should.

Any ideas?

Si