Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:44:53 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "A.Rakukin" <rakukin@pochtamt.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   with and without firewall

Hello,

I would like to have my network (say, 128.1.1.0 with
router 128.1.1.1) connected to the Internet via the
firewall most of the time, but also provide the
possibility for this network to be switched to direct
Internet connection at any time, without any changes in
routing.

I guess I can set it up in the following way:
 - create an additional network (128.2.2.0),
 - add this network as secondary to the router,
assigning an additional address 128.2.2.1 to the router
itself,
 - set up a firewall with external address 128.2.2.2
and internal addresses 128.1.1.1
 - make the firewall pick all packets intended for
128.1.1.0 which come to its external interface, filter
them and send into the internal network.
Then, routing should work either if firewall is present
or it is physically removed and router connected to the
network directly.

Is that possible? Which software can accomplish the
last task? As far as I understand, NAT address
redirection does not do it. Maybe, there are easier
ways to solve this problem, without setting up an
additional network?

Thanks a lot,
Alex