Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 02:37:40 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Getting information from SCSI devices? [and Mammoth2 example]

Hi,
  if you remember, I had troubles with one Mammoth2 drive some time
ago. At now, I think I can say that difficulties have been solved
by firmware upgrade (in my opipion v03a was the first usable firmware
for M2) - I can not repeat FreeBSD freezes any more, because medium
errors disappeared...

However I have one question/micro-announce:

Does anybody know about any "more mature" tool such as "camcontrol
modepage ...", which can communicate with SCSI devices and write
out data from them in a human readable format? Just for FreeBSD
of course (I know about M2 monitor for Windows.) camcontrol does know
mode sense command only (log sense would be great), numbers are only
up to 4 bytes and so on and I'm not sure if it is desirable to extend
libcam further, because it is in a base system.

I have written very small and simple perl wrapper around camcontrol
to get some interesting information from Mammoth2 drive: Number of
read/write errors, hardware compression information (! great thing !),
drive usage statistics and an environmental temperature. EZ17 is the
next on the plate... M2 owners can just copy & paste & run:
fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.cz/pub/FreeBSD-local/scsi/m2

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science