Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:50:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Amanda - FORMAT ERROR IN REQUEST PACKET

I have received this error while attempting to run Amanda.  Amanda seems
to run OK with dump.  Amanda generates errors when using either gnutar
1.11 (comes with FreeBSD) or gnutar 1.13.

Anyone else seen weirdness using gnutar with amanda on FreeBSD?

I would like to stick with gnutar for doing my amanda backups as I am
more familiar with it and it has nice "exclude" functionality for not
backing up live databases.

Can dump be made to exclude a directory?  I haven't read anything that
says it can.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells