Date:      31 Jan 1998 20:39:36 -0600
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Great job on laptops!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let y'all know  that I just installed FreeBSD on my
new Thinkpad 310ED (P133MMX) laptop and it works GREAT.  The sleep and
suspend (hibernate) features work very well.  I now need to figure how
to set the timeouts for various devices, but I am sure it is in the
documentation.

Now here's the part you'll probably really like :-)  I have, for the
last year or two, been a developer for Debian GNU/Linux.  I had
originally switched to Linux because FreeBSD didn't run some of the
software I needed, and Linux had (and Debian still has) a nicer
package management system.

Then along came my laptop earlier this week.  Of course, the first
thing I did was resize Win95 down from 1.6 gig to 400 meg and delete
most of it :-)  Then I went to install Linux on my laptop.  It worked
OK, but -- not very well.  It took a lot of tweaking to make my PCMCIA
Ethernet card go, and it never did let the hibernate stuff work.
Basically, it just behaved like a desktop instead of fine-tuning
itself for a laptop.  Well, on a hunch, I got FreeBSD 2.2.5 and the
PAO patches.  Installed it, works great!

So, just a note to thank y'all for making a great *nix distribution
that runs well on a laptop, and keep up the good work!

Regards,
John Goerzen
A FreeBSD and Linux fan

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for